We always take time out of our busy schedules to complain about the bad conditions of Indian roads. So much so that we often forget the good stuff.
Wouldn’t it be great to know about the roads you’ve taken (will take)? Here are 10 facts about Indian highways that are a must know for all of us. Read below:
- The road network of India is the second largest in the world with a total length of about 4,320,000 kilometers. In fact, the Indian road network consists of 1000 km of expressways, 79,243 km of national highways, 1,31,899 km of state highways, and other major district and rural roads.
- Currently the total length of Indian highways, combined with expressways and other rural/district roads, measures up to 4,320,000 kilometers.
- NH 7 is the longest national highway in India with a total distance of 2,369 km from Varanasi to Kanyakumari.
- One of the best known expressways in India, the Ahmedabad – Vadodara Expressway is 93.1 km long. It was constructed under the Golden Quadrilateral Project in 2004.
- Port Maduravoyal Elevated Expressway will be the longest elevated expressway of the country with a total length of 19 km. It’s under construction in Chennai.
- The Kathipara Junction of Chennai is the largest cloverleaf interchange in India, and the largest cloverleaf flyover in the whole of Asia.
- The Hebbal Flyover of Bangalore, is one of India’s greatest civil engineering wonders. Built by Gammon, having a length of 5.23 km, the serpentine maze of flyovers connects the Outer Ring Road and Bellary Road.
- One of the longest bridges in the world, The Mahatma Gandhi Setu bridge over the holy river Ganges in Bihar, connects the capital city of Patna in the south to Hajipur. It is a 5.8-km-long, 4-lane roadway.
- The Godavari Bridge, over the river Godavari is Asia’s second longest road-cum-rail bridge crossing a water body.
- The Bandra Worli Sea Link of Mumbai is India’s longest sea bridge. It’s a total of 5.6 Kms.
Important and Useful Tips for Highways
Milestones play a significant role too. They help distinguish a national highway from a city highway or a state highway based on these specifications:
- State: Green and White
- National: Yellow and White
- City: Black and White
Andriod users book ur road trips here.